Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS BB4P?
BB4P is YOUTH ORGANIZATION established under the AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY (ABU) BASKETBALL FOUNDATION and financed by the UNITED STATE AGENCY for INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (USAID) for the sole purpose of using BASKETBALL to maintain PEACE among NIGERIAN YOUTH in all areas of CONFLICT throughout the FEDERATION.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN GOALS OF BB4P?
1. To PROMOTE BASKETBALL & PEACE among all NIGERIANS and to establish suitable facilities, provide adequate equipment, and job opportunities wherever possible for PEACE. 2. To create a Global Network of BB4P AMBASSADORS to mediate in CONFLICT to maintain PEACE among all youth.
WHEN WAS BB4P STARTED?
BB4P was started in March 2003 in ZARIA and KADUNA to address the problems of Violence Rape anmd the Destruction of Lives and Property which had over the years undermined public order and security. Also to engage the youth gangs and other idle youth through BASKETBALL so that they could not be manipulated by politicians to cause trouble during the election period.
WHO ARE THE MAJOR BB4P ACTORS?
OLIVER B. JOHNSON (Coach OBJ) PROGRAM MANAGER
EDWARD O. TOX. ASSISTANT PROGRAMME MANAGER
INNOCENT E.IBRAHIM OPERATIONS MANAGER
ADEMOLA I.ADIGUN TECHNICAL MANAGER
1. MICHAEL AKUBOR (ZARIA PEACE ZONE)
2. HALIDU MOHAMMED (KADUNA PEACE ZONE)
3. CHRIS WESLEY (JOS PEACE ZONE)
4. BALA UMAR (KANO PEACE ZONE)
5. FUBARA OYENABOR (PORTHARCOURT PEACE ZONE)
6. COLLINS NEWUWUMI (DELTA STATE)
7. SAMIE IHEJIRIKA (CRESNET)
8. MARTINS KURE (CRESNET)
9.AUSTINE SALIHU-OTARU (ABUJA)
10. CHOM BAGU (LBI PROGRAM MANAGER)
11. MINNIE S. WRIGHT (USAID DEMOCRACY & GOVERNANCE OFFICER)
WHO IS USAID/LBI AND CRESNET?
USAID is the “United States Agency for International Development’ the ‘FINANCIAL SPONSORS’ of BB4P. USAID has already invested more than ten million naira in the 3 ‘Phases’ so far established. DELTA, RIVERS, LAGOS are our proposed States for 2004. CRESNET is the Conflict Resolution Stakeholders Network responsible for the 3 day Staff Training Workshop before the start of each ‘phase of the BB4P Project’. LBI is the ‘Louis Berger International’ implementation partner with USAID?
WHAT HAS BB4P DONE?
IN KADUNA/ZARIA our 1st Phase
1. BB4P established 6 PEACE ZONES and trained more than 90 youth in “Conflict Management & Basketball” techniques for Tolerance and Peaceful coexistence/interaction with their peers.
2. BB4P activities during the ‘elections’ brought many youth of different religions and ethnicities together in competition providing a weekly forum for friends, parents and the general public to interact in PEACE.
In Jos our 2nd Phase
1. BB4P established 5 PEACE ZONES and trained more than 170 boys and girls (12 Basketball Teams) for the reintegration of the various communities in PEACE and to prevent post election violence.
2. BB4P with the support of its Co-sponsor ‘COKE’ staged more than 30 Home and Away Basketball Matches in JOS & BUKURU to stress the need for Religious Tolerance, PEACE and Peaceful Coexistence at all time with everytone.
In KANO our 3rd Phase
1. BB4P rehabilitated 3 and built 2 new PEACE ZONES.
2. BB4P trained more than 150 boys (10 multi-religious Basketball Teams) in Conflict Management/Basketball Techniques to encourage Religious and Ethnic Tolerance for PEACE.
The CRESNET (3day) CONFLICT MANAGEMENT WORKSHOPS were held in Kaduna, Jos and Kano for more than 40 BB4P STAFF. All were taught Techniques necessary for PEACE Building, Tolerance, Mediating Conflict and how to be PEACEMAKERS.
WHO ARE THE BENEFICIARIES OF BB4P?
We have engaged and influence directly the lives of more than 400 youth (tomorrow’s leaders) to seek PEACEFUL solutions to problems using BASKETBALL as the medium. By providing BB4P T-Shirts, Pants and Shoes to all the participants and the establishment of 16 PEACE ZONES we believe that all our participants have in one way or the other influenced their friends, peers, parents, relatives and their communities for PEACE.
WHAT ARE PEACE ZONES?
PEACE ZONES are the actual (rehabilitated or new) BASKETBALL COURTS in the areas of CONFLICT given to BB4P to conduct all its BB4P activities. The word PEACE ZONE are clearly marked on each BASKETBALL BACKBOARD to daily remind all users and passerbys that PEACE must always REIGN.
WHO ARE THE SPONSORS AND CO-SPONSORS?
USAID is the sole SPONSOR of BB4P having invested more than 10 million naira for the successful completion of BB4P in KADUNA, PLATEAU and KANO STATES. COCA-COLA is the major CO-SPONSOR providing COKE for participants in KADUNA and JOS. Other CO-SPONSORS are Borini Prono who leveled the surface of two PEACE ZONES in KADUNA. In ZARIA, ABUCONS provided bags of water and PROMASIDOR NIGERIA LTD. provided WRITING-PENS. BB4P sincerely appreciates all the support from the CO-SPONSORS and appeal to others to also CO-SPONSOR BB4P .
WHY BASKETBALL AND PEACE (BB4P)?
Basketball and peace or Peace and Basketball brought about a lot of interest and caught the eyes and minds of everyone who heard it. SPORTS in NIGERIA are considered a unifying event, however, “sports” and CONFLICT by nature; the GOAL being to defeat an opponent (usually by a set of RULES) thus PEACE and BASKETBALL is an attractive combination for the promotion of PEACEFUL interaction/Coexistence between the different ETHNIC/RELIGIOUS communities in NIGERIA… PLS JOIN US…
WHAT DOES BB4P NEED NOW?
BB4P need more CO-SPONSORS and VOLUNTEERS to UP-GRADE this PROJECT to meet all demands for PEACE BUILDING in all areas of CONFLICT in NIGERIA.
WHO CAN JOIN BB4P?
Everyone, who can help BB4P obtain its ‘goals’ and acceptance of a completed BB4P Application Form.
WHAT ARE THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS?
The hope is to establish other Sports, culture and educational activities around the Peace Zone. Ideally, BB4P would want to establish a self-help Community Centre to each Peace Zone to cater for the precise needs of its residence. Finally BB4P would want to build a BB4P Club House/Shop around each PEACE ZONE where Coke, Snacks, Music, Arts & Crafts, BB4P Paraphinalia e.t.c. can be displayed, brought and sold. Ultimately BB4P would want to establish a self perpetuating BB4P Basketball League that will employ BB4P Players & officials for a minimum of 2 months annually.
HOW WILL BB4P BE SUSTAINED?
It is expected that ‘Local Co-sponsors and Volunteers’ will support their local BB4P PEACE ZONE in any way that they can. Already each PEACE ZONE has a minimum of 35 active basketball playes/Peace Ambassador fully uniformed to play basketball and mediate in Conflict. A BB4P trophy has been given to the 3 coordinators in their areas. Basketballs and nets are supplied on need basis to each PEACE ZONE by USAID/BB4P; thus it is expected that each PEACE ZONE will be truly sustained by the ‘support’ of its community and those served. NO DONATION/CONTRIBUTION IS TOO SMALL!!!